All the flavors of pizza in a crispy bite of tofu! These homemade nuggets are sure to be a hit with your kids! #Chocolate #food #Dessert #Vegan #Healthy
- 2 blocks firm tofu preferably organic
- 1/4 cup Bragg's aminos you can use soy sauce, but reduce to 2 tablespoons soy sauce + 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon no-chicken stock concentrate I like Better Than Boullion No-Chicken, or use veggie bullion cube)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds whole or ground is fine
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon agave
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup rice flour you can sub regular all purpose flour if you don't need to be gluten free
- 2 T corn starch to help the rice flour to stick better, you can omit if you use all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Marinara sauce for dipping if desired
- Press your tofu to release as much water as possible. Set aside. Mix together the soy sauce, water, spices, boullion, tomato paste and agave. Slice the tofu into whatever size you want—I sliced each block into 8 pieces for easy cooking/flipping in the oven. Marinate the tofu for at least 1 hour, but you could do up to 3 or 4.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and use your hands to wipe off the excess marinade. Set aside. (Trust me, do this first, all at one time rather than for each dip—it gets messy).
- Mix rice flour with 2 T cornstarch and 1 t salt. In separate bowl pour 1/2 c of unsweetened milk (I just blended 1/2 c water with 2 T hemp seeds and did not strain—I was out of milk). Dip tofu into flour mix, lightly coating all sides, give it a slight shake, then dip quickly into the milk, then back to the flour to coat again. Shake once again to remove excess dry flour. Place on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. (If you have dry spots of flour on the tofu you can give it a quick spritz with a spray cooking oil (I have spray olive oil) and that will help the dry flour to crisp up as well!)
- Bake for 30 minutes. Flip all tofu carefully and return to the oven for 15 more minutes. Remove from the oven and serve right away. Enjoy!
- Cook time includes time to marinate the tofu.